Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Nail Fungus Among Us

Well, how do we start... I guess I would like to share a cure I used to get rid of a fungus, specifically a toe nail fungus. I know there are a lot of people out there that swear by prescribed drugs, and then there are others that swear by natural means of treatment, I like to swear by what really works in my own experience and the experiences of those around me. If you'll indulge me...

Nail fungus is a nasty little microbe that likes to live and breath under our nails and skin. It is unsightly and can stay with us for years. Yes ladies and gents, this bad boy is here to stay unless you do something about it. And it can spread to your hands, feet and then to your loved ones by living in your carpets or through regular human contact. Grant it it is not as scary as I might portray it, you don't have anything to fear by shaking hands or walking around in your stalking feet, I give it a 3 on the transferability scale. If you have been on this planet for a few years as I have, I am sure a you have either experienced or know someone who has experienced a nail fungus at some time in your lives, well here is some food for thought

The Problem:
Nail fungus is described quite well here if you have not been officially diagnosed or are not able to go to a doctor due to financial reasons. http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/toenail-fungus/

Western remedies... still a bit of a problem...
Now if you have gone to your doctor for this, you are probably given an option of a few drugs to cure the issue one starts with Lam.... If enjoy a good giggle, as I do, you should read all of the complications that can occur due to these drugs you will probably also know that these drugs can wreak havoc on your liver. I don't know about you but I need mine to help me process a little habit I call social drinking (thank god that is still legal without prescription!). My also informed me that it often takes 2 month long prescriptions to actually clear it the infection. Why would this take so long? Slow toenail growth, slow only because we often have lower circulation in our extremities. (especially you women out there... to be continued later.) If you would like to see these side effects I googled them and here are the most common diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, and stomach pain, while this sounds fun, the long term side effects could be liver damage. So needless to say, those suffering from liver ailments, pregnancy and childhood need not apply.

The Remedy...
So, now as we all know doctors are legally not aloud to prescribe a cure to a disease unless it is a FDA approved pharmaceutical. However, I had a GOOD doctor at the time and she recommended this cure which I have been sharing with whomever will listen for years now. (ABC Homeopathy site: http://www.abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/101906/1)
It is called Vicks Vaporub , (note: if your Spanish speaking it sounds a lot cooler. ;)

Ok, now why does this work? Well lets take a look at the ingredients.

MEDICINAL INGREDIENTS:
Camphor 4.73% w/w
Menthol 2.6% w/w
Eucalyptus Oil 1.2% w/w
NON-MEDICINAL INGREDIENTS:
Cedarleaf oil, myristica oil, special petrolatum, thymol, turpentine oil

Camphor, Menthol, Eucalyptus and cedar leaf, hell,this reads like a hippy medicine book, but there is science behind it. Volatile oils like tea tree, Oregano, and menthol that contain antimicrobial properties which for microbials like fungus this is bad news. In fact on specific study concluded:
In vitro antagonistic activity of monoterpenes and their mixtures against toe nail fungus pathogens by RS Ramsewak, MG Nair, M Stommel and L Selanders; Quote"The zones of inhibition data revealed that camphor (1), menthol (2), thymol (3) and oil of Eucalyptus citriodora were the most efficacious components against the tested organisms" http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/104525317/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Now if your infection is very severe or not accessible, (i.e under the nail and not erupted yet) you may want to consider taking the 1st coarse of prescribed drugs in addition to this treatment. Please note I did take Lam..., but I used this remedy to help clear the rest of the infection as the nail grew out and I cleared the infection that had been with me for 5 years in 3 months.

Anyone? thoughts on this...

No comments:

Post a Comment